- Central information desk
Main Library Adolf-Reichwein-Straße (AR), floor 0, AR-UB 004 (next to circulation desk)
- Interlibrary loan department
Main Library Adolf-Reichwein-Straße (AR), floor 0, AR-UB 011/AR-UB 012
Information on Interlibrary Loan
Via interlibrary loan you can order literature which is not available at Siegen University Library from other libraries. You have to be a registered library user or your USiCard is activated for library use to do so.
Delivery time usually takes 1 – 2 weeks, but longer waiting periods are possible. You can check the progress of your interlibrary loan orders in your user account.
When ordering please quote the library where to pick your interlibrary loans up: Main Library Adolf-Reichwein-Straße (AR) or Branch library Unteres Schloss (US).
Ordering books, book chapters and other media
Interlibrary loan orders for books are placed electronically. To do so you have to log in with your ZIMT-ID and password.
- Use the search mask to find the required title.
- Choose the respective title from the list and decide whether you need the entire book or only the copy of a chapter / article / essay.
- Within the section ‘Lieferbedingungen’ (terms of delivery) you can state if you are also interested in other editions of the book and if you would like to have placed a reservation on the book in case it is lent in all libraries taking part in the interlibrary loan system. If the book is only available by placing a reservation, it is necessary to wait for the book beeing returned. Thus the delivering time will be longer.
- Please note that only 10% of a publication are allowed for copy via interlibrary loan (§ 60e, 5 UrhG).
- Only one essay per order.
- You will be given a summary of your order at the end including an order code. You will need this code if you have any questions concerning your order.
- Please note that you will need to place a separate order for each individual item or volume.
- If you cannot find the title you are looking for you can place your order via a blank ordering form. The link to this form can be found at the end of the list of your search results.
Ordering journal articles
Interlibrary loan orders for journal essays are placed electronically. To do so you have to log in with your ZIMT-ID and password.
- Use the search mask to find the title of the journal in which the essay was published.
- Choose the printed edition of the journal (not the [electronic resource]) from the search results. If you cannot find the journal you are looking for or if no printed version of the journal exists you can place your order via a blank ordering form. The link to this form can be found at the end of the list of your search results. Please note that in the case of journals that are only published electronically it depends on the licence agreements whether or not the title is available for delivery
- Complete the ordering form with the details of the article you are interested in.
- In the section headed “Lieferbedingungen” (terms of delivery) please choose a form of shipping as well as a type of notification. Essays will be sent as a copy. They will usually be available for collection at the circulation desk you defined for delivery. University staff members may also receive their copies via interoffice mail as long as they choose “Zustellung über Hauspost” (delivery via interoffice mail) from the list of shipping forms and include all relevant details of their interoffice address (name, department / faculty, building block and street address).
- There may be higher charges for essays longer than 20 pages. Please fill out the box “Kostenübernahme bis” (meeting the costs up to).
- You will be given a summary of your order at the end including an order code (TAN). You will need this code if you have any questions concerning your order.
Placing an order after a search within the Katalog plus
You can also place an interlibrary loan order directly after a search within the Katalog plus:
- Use the search mask to find the required title.
- Following the link "Wie komme ich dran" you are also given the possibility of ordering the title by interlibrary loan.
An interlibrary loan will cost you EUR 1.50. This handling fee will be charged to your user account, and is due irrespective of fulfillment. For university staff (with library card for university staff) interlibrary loans are presently free of charge.
In the terms of delivery you can also choose up to which sum you would like to meet any additional costs (recommended: at least EUR 8). Additional costs may occur in the case of essays longer than 20 pages or when a title needs to be ordered via the international interlibrary loan.
Besides that the postage for any notification via mail will be charged to your account in case you have not registered an e-mail address.
Not all titles are available via interlibrary loan; excluded are in general:
- Items that are available in Siegen
- Items that are available for less than 15 Euros via book stores
- Media recently acquired and books that have not been registered in any library
- Loose-leaf publications and complete issues or volumes of journals
- Media which generally are not accessible to the public such as term papers, final exam papers, teachers' editions of workbooks, tests or recordings of TV programs
- Books with elementary or purely practical content such as cookery books or travel guides
- Items of value, especially works published before 1800
- Items of extraordinary format
- Items subject to special copy-right regulations, as for example electronic books, standards and patents
Notification and collection
You will receive a notification by e-mail or postal mail (postage: see costs) as soon as your interlibrary loan order has been delivered.
The delivered items will be kept for you for up to 14 days. Please pick them up within this time period by presenting your library card at the circulation desk you defined for delivery.
Lending and returning media
The lending period for items that have to be returned is set by the lending library and can be found on your pink interlibrary loan form. The loan period begins when the book is placed at your disposal, not when you collect the book!
Please return the item(s) handing in ALL receipts and forms you have at one of the circulation desks.
If you require an extension of the lending period please present the item in question with any receipts and forms that go with it including your library card/USiCard at one of the circulation desks where interlibrary loans can be picked up after delivery. Please note that an extension is only possible if the lending library agrees and if the application for an extension of the lending period has been handed in before the lending period expires at one of the circulation desks of the pick-up libraries during the service hours (Information and assistance). In case the extension is not agreed to you will receive a return request.
Temporarily the extension of the lending period is available via e-mail to the interlibrary loan department. Extension can’t be granted, if there is the note “KEINE Fristverlängerung” above the barcode (pink receipt). Please include your library card number and the number of the ILL-book you want to extend.
In case of overdue loans a fine will be charged to your account, calculated according to the Gebühren- und Entgeltordnung der Universitätsbibliothek Siegen (Charge and Compensation Regulations of the University Library of Siegen).
In these cases you will receive additional information by e-mail. The corresponding media can be consulted during service hours at the Central Information in the Main Library Adolf-Reichwein-Straße (AR).
Reader-Printer and Film-Scanners for microforms are available for use by appointment.
International interlibrary loan
If an item which has been published outside of Germany is not available in any German library belonging to the interlibrary loaning system, your order can be placed to the international interlibrary loaning system. This can and will only be done with your consent. This will probably lead to longer waiting periods and higher expenses which will have to be carried by you. For more detailed information please contact the interlibrary loan department.